Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Do You Reject Wisdom?


Proverbs 1:24-33


"Because I have called and you refused to listen,
    have stretched out my hand and no one has heeded,
because you have ignored all my counsel
    and would have none of my reproof,
I also will laugh at your calamity;
    I will mock when terror strikes you,
when terror strikes you like a storm
    and your calamity comes like a whirlwind,
    when distress and anguish come upon you.
Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer;
    they will seek me diligently but will not find me.
Because they hated knowledge
    and did not choose the fear of the Lord,
would have none of my counsel
    and despised all my reproof,
therefore they shall eat the fruit of their way,
    and have their fill of their own devices.
For the simple are killed by their turning away,
    and the complacency of fools destroys them;
but whoever listens to me will dwell secure
    and will be at ease, without dread of disaster."
_______________________________________________


What will happen to the fool who rejects the wisdom of God?

God will laugh at the calamity that comes upon the person who has rejected the wisdom of God. The Bible says that God will mock the fool when terror, distress, and anguish come upon him. At this point the fool will want God's help after all the years of rejecting God, but God will not have it. He says, "Then they will call upon me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently but will not find me." The fool will get what he deserves and eat the rotten fruit he has produced. Because the fool does not have the fear of the LORD, he in his simplicity is killed; his complacency destroys him.


What will happen when you listen to the wisdom of God?
Wisdom declares that the person who listens dwells secure from the destructive path of fools. The person who loves wisdom will be at ease, having peace, and not have the dread of disaster that comes upon fools. The wise person is answered upon by wisdom. God does not mock or bring punishment upon the people who love and obey his commandments. Loving and obeying God's commandments is rooted in the fear of the LORD. The Christian wants God's counsel and turns to God's wisdom in search for how to live this life in a way that God calls good and righteous. God pours out his Spirit to those who fear him. The fool will only get God's wrath in the end. Are you a fool? Do you reject wisdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment